Blue Coast Live

Multimedia by UK School of Journalism & Media Students

Blue Coast Live

Blue Coast Live

Haiti Hustle leaves a footprint on the minds of Haiti Educators
"Haiti Hustle" leaves a footprint on the minds of Haiti Educators
March 29, 2016

Diving into UK basketball stats

Freshman point guard Brandon Knight. From nationofblue.com.

I spent some time looking over some stats for the Kentucky basketball team last night, and what I found was surprising.

• Brandon Knight needs to score 8 more points to break John Wall’s record for the most points scored by a Kentucky freshman. Wall scored 616, and Knight has 609.
  • Terrence Jones needs 11 more points to have scored more points in his freshman year than DeMarcus Cousins. Big Cuz had 575 points (second to Wall for most by a freshman), and Jones is sitting on 565 points.
  • Josh Harrellson (307) and Terrence Jones (306) have each pulled down more rebounds than Patrick Patterson had last year (283). DeMarcus Cousins had 374 boards, so Harrellson and Jones can outrebound last year’s duo if they pull down 44 more rebounds before the season ends. In all likelihood, they’d have to at least advance past Ohio State in the tournament to do that, and maybe need to get to the Final Four.
  • Stacey Poole, a Top 50 recruit, has made only one field goal this season for the Cats. If I had told you that before the season, you would have asked which ACL he blew out. It’s amazing to realize how disappointing he has been. He has four points on the year; Jarrod Polson has six.
  • This season’s freshman backcourt of Lamb and Knight has outscored last year’s of Wall and Eric Bledsoe. Lamb and Knight have combined for 1,051 points, while last year’s duo scored 1,035.