Blue Coast Live

Multimedia by UK School of Journalism & Media Students

Blue Coast Live

Blue Coast Live

Haiti Hustle leaves a footprint on the minds of Haiti Educators
"Haiti Hustle" leaves a footprint on the minds of Haiti Educators
March 29, 2016

How It Started vs. How It’s Going

Highlighting the Unique Stories of Underrepresented Women at the University of Kentucky

How It Started vs. How It’s Going is a series dedicated to highlighting unique stories of underrepresented women at the University of Kentucky! Let’s take a look at three trailblazing women!

Meet Brandy

Hailing from Atlanta, Georgia, Brandy Jackson is a Senior pursuing a dual degree in Merchandising, Apparel, and Textiles and Broadcast Journalism.

Growing up, Brandy has always had a love for fashion but didn’t quite know how to channel her passions into a career just yet. Her childhood dream was to be a fashion designer, but that goal has manifested itself into a much larger one as she’s grown older.

It wasn’t until her sister, a UK Journalism Alum, gave her that push to venture off and pursue both of her interests.

“It kind of gave me the addition that I wanted. I want to do fashion but I like broadcast,” says Jackson.

Her journey at the University of Kentucky has been far from easy, but college has given her many opportunities and resources to pour into her passions.

“I’ve never been the type to shy away from an opportunity, especially one that can help me figure out more about myself, so I’m always going to try something new and see how it works out,” says Jackson.

Jackson prides herself on being able to embrace her authenticity in every setting. She encourages others to tap into their most authentic self, in order to reach their goals.

“ Being your authentic self is where you find the people that you mesh with and where you find those lifelong friends and create those relationships.”

Be sure to check out the “How It Started vs. How It’s Going” video to see the rest of her story.

Meet Princess

Originating from Ghana, Princess Agbozo is a Senior International student studying Public Health at the University of Kentucky. She also serves as the 2023 Homecoming Queen.

When she was younger, she had plans on becoming a doctor, because she wanted to ensure there was quality healthcare for all. However, now that she’s older, she’s realized that she can reach her goal of quality healthcare for all through a different outlet.

“I’ve learned to define home in terms of the people around me 

Agbozo pays homage to her childhood, because she believes it is what shaped her to become the woman she is today.

“Who I am today is not who I am five years ago and that’s totally okay. I’m just learning to adjust to that and just accept that ”

From traveling across the world for her dreams to making a difference within her involvement at the University of Kentucky, Agbozo is breaking barriers and inspiring those around her.

“I was looking for community that would provide resources for international students but also where I would get a holistic experience with my college career”

Meet Ariel

From the city life of Atlanta, Georgia to the Horse capital of Lexington, Kentucky, Ariel Baldon is a Fourth-year Equine Science student at the University of Kentucky.

Her childhood dream was to become a veterinarian. However, her love for horses has led her to want to become a PATH certified instructor.

“I was reminded of my love for horses and I kind of just wanted to hone in on that specifically”

Throughout her younger years, she was praised as a leader. Baldon believes her leadership characteristics is what has helped her become successful within her time at UK.

“I don’t know if it was the way I was raised or you know, being the only child raised by a single mother- that definitely instilled a lot of principles in me that naturally made me a leader”

Baldon recognizes the importance of showing representation in different fields, especially within the career field she is pursuing.

“ I saw a need for that exposure for it in my community  and I wished that I had that growing up. I just want to give people the opportunity I didn’t have”