Blue Coast Live

Multimedia by UK School of Journalism & Media Students

Blue Coast Live

Blue Coast Live

Haiti Hustle leaves a footprint on the minds of Haiti Educators
"Haiti Hustle" leaves a footprint on the minds of Haiti Educators
March 29, 2016

Wildcat Wheels Expanding Its Fleet

bicycle-clipart
The University of Kentucky Parking and Transportation Services is encouraging on-campus students to leave behind their motor vehicles when they come to campus.
According to the Parking and Transportation Services newsletter, the Wildcat Wheels Bicycle Library will nearly double its capacity during the 2014-2015 school year to feature a fleet of 100 bicycles to be specifically loaned out to students living in the residence halls. These students will have to sign a commitment to not to bring a car to Lexington. Students will be guaranteed the bicycle for the entire academic year.
The bikes will be 8-speed commuter bicycles equipped with fenders, a rear rack, a bell and a lock. Students will also receive a bicycle helmet from the UK HealthCare Level I Trauma Program.
The bicycle additions were made possible by a funding partnership between the Student Sustainability Council and Parking and Transportation Services.
Current UK students and employees can make submissions for a new name for the program through Wednesday, March 5 at www.sustainability.uky.edu/NameTheFleet. The top three names will all receive a bag of UK Bicycling prizes and the winner will also receive a free bicycle tune-up.
More information about Wildcat Wheels can be found at www.wildcatwheels.org .